Finished shoe racks

I finished Rebecca’s shoe racks a few days ago, And tonight, I could no longer smell the finish, so it was safe to bring them inside.  I had originally thought about finishing them with polyurethane, but at the last minute, I decided to finish them with boiled linseed oil  cut with 50% mineral spirits. They didn’t turn out as nice as I would of liked, but Rebecca loves them none the less. The main flaw with the design is the dado joints used to join the top cross beams to the sides.  Getting all of them cut to just the right length and thickness was tedious.  Ultimately, I spent more time with chisels fine tuning the fit than I would have liked. If I had to do it again, I would use through dovetails.

Posted in: Power Tool Woodworking
Part of the Project

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *