The lift-top box prototype

I finished the prototype box last night. The top is Spalted Maple, the sides are Poplar, & the bottom is Red Cedar. The finish is two coats of Watco Danish oil, followed by a coat of clear Liberon Black Bison wax. This was the first time I’ve used Spalted Maple, and I have to say It was a lot harder to work that I thought it would be. The lid pictured below is actually #3, The first one chipped out badly while tapering the final side, and #2 split almost in half, while removing it from the cutting jig.

Check back in a few days, as I’m planing to film a video over the weekend, to show how the process I used to make this box deviated from the one Doug shows in his book.

Posted in: Power Tool Woodworking
Part of the Project


  • January 7, 2011

    Hi Dan,

    lovely box, you have used the spalting realy well. Ive done a lot of work with spalted wood, I always found oil finishes darkened spalted woods. You might want to try sanding to 1000 grit finishing with clear laquer, de nibing with 1000 grit between coats, you will get a better contrast in the colours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *